• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do you have to repay Pell grants?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stumpedinpa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

At the end of 2015 my husband went almost 100% through the process of signing up for an accredited online college. He filled out and was approved for FAFSA and other grants and stuff, I'm not sure exactly what they were called. The issue, he never followed through. Stupid I know but it happened. My question, if he never did one day of school work, never finished filling out every single thing that was required to attend the online school, and has had no contact with them since the end of 2015, will they take the money for the pell grant out of our tax refund? Or rather since he didn't do anything further, if the school did receive any type of grant or money from somewhere for his tuition wouldn't they have to give that back, seeing he didn't use it? Or do we have to repay it all? :(

justalayman

IF he had not formally registered, the school would not have received any of the financial aid.

do you have something to show the school received the Pell grant payment?

Stumpedinpa

Thank you for answering. No we didn't get anything to show the school received any form of payment of any kind. The one thing that has me worried though, it's an online school. Even though it says accredited I personally know someone who had to pay back (but is fighting) their school loans for a non accredited online school.

Last edited:

justalayman

you said he never completed registration so they would not be able to seek a grant due to that.

he does need to review any contracts he may have signed though to make sure he is not obligated for some other monies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">