• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does having federal tax debt affect the FAFSA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angelfish5765

I'm currently a college student, and I got married in 2014. My husband has a lot of federal tax debt and is not in good standing with the IRS. If we file a joint tax return, will this affect my federal student aid for the coming aid years? Would filing seperately prevent his tax debt from becoming my tax debt?

Ladyback1

I'm currently a college student, and I got married in 2014. My husband has a lot of federal tax debt and is not in good standing with the IRS. If we file a joint tax return, will this affect my federal student aid for the coming aid years? Would filing seperately prevent his tax debt from becoming my tax debt?
There are at least a couple of tax professionals that are frequent contributors here...hopefully they will stop by and answer your questions.;)

ecmst12

Being married affects your FAFSA because your husband's income now becomes part of the calculation, regardless of whether you file joint or separate. Debt of any kind is not part of the equation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">