• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does he need my SS if filing separately? PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bethy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Hubby and I are separated (PA doesn't recognize separation though) and have never filed income taxes together. I have reason to believe hubby never filed in the past 9 years, but that's besides the point.

I filed "head of household" this year and a situation came up (FAFSA) where hubby has to show HIS 2008 return which he hadn't filed yet - he is self-employed. Hubby is trying to get his stuff to an acct. for 2008 taxes, but stated he needs MY SS number as he is filing "married, but filing separately"

Does he really need my SS number? I filed back in February. I just don't want to be associated w/ any of his business stuff or past non-filing problems. Would I have to sign it if I have to give my SS number?

LdiJ

I agree with the others, however that doesn't mean that you have to sign the return (and you should NOT sign the return). It just means that he has to report that he is married, and to whom.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">