• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does IRS agent need to be served with Petition to Quash?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FrumpyNoggin

When filing a Petition to Quash a 3rd party summons (9th Circuit District Court), does sending the IRS agent a copy of the petition pursuant to 7609(b)(2)(B) qualify as service, or do I need to execute normal service of the petition in addition to the copy?

Also, can anyone point me to a good outline of the Fed.R.Civ.P times for responses, replies, etc? It's been years since I've had to reference mine, and I can't seem to find it :)

Thanks!

tranquility

Who is the third party? What is being sought? Who propounded the summons? Who is motioning to quash?

While it may not be essential to answering the question, it certainly would help to know the players.

FrumpyNoggin

The IRS issued a 3rd party summons to a Bank. I am moving to Quash the summons (pro se) and have submitted my petition to the District Court and mailed a copy of the petition to the IRS pursuant to 7609(b)(2)(B).

The only answer I'm looking for here is to find out if sending the IRS a copy of the Petition pursuant to 7609(b)(2)(B) (via certified mail) qualifies as Notification of Service relative to processing a Petition to Quash.

tranquility

If the IRS issued the summons to a 3rd party and you are the one being audited and the one who objects (aka "taxpayer") the applicable statue of limitations on assessment and/or prosecution is suspended. You can attack on the vague or confusing theory, not relevant to lawful investigation theory or time period for production is unreasonable under the circumstances theory.

The IRS would say you need to quash by:
5.17.6.6.3 (10-15-2010)
Petition to Quash the Summons

A noticee who wishes to prevent compliance with the summons by the party summoned must begin a civil action in the appropriate U.S. district court to quash the summons no later than twenty days after the day notice of the summons is given. IRC § 7609(b)(2).

The noticee must mail (by registered or certified mail) a copy of the petition to quash the summons to the summoned person and a copy to the IRS officer who issued the summons. This must be done within the twenty-day period, and is a jurisdictional prerequisite to the court hearing the complaint. Yocum v. United States, 586 F.Supp. 317 (N.D. Ind. 1984); Franklin v. United States, 581 F.Supp. 38 (E.D. Mich. 1984).

The summoned party has the right to intervene in this proceeding and is bound by the decision in the quash proceeding whether he intervenes or not.

If the noticee files a petition to quash the summons, then the Service cannot examine the records until the court issues an appropriate order. The Service may only examine the records prior to the issuance of a court order if the person bringing the petition consents to the examination.

The date set for appearance cannot be sooner than the 23rd day after notice is given (as a rule of thumb, the 26th day is used). IRC § 7609(d).

IRC § 7609(d)(1) prohibits premature examination of the records at issue, not physical acceptance. In Conner v. United States , 434 F.3d 676 (4th Cir. 2006), the taxpayer appealed the district court's finding with respect to Powell's fourth prong, asserting that by accepting the records from a third party prior to expiration of the twenty-three days in which he, the affected taxpayer, could seek to quash the third-party summonses, the revenue agent did not follow IRC § 7609(d)(1) nor the IRM. The Fourth Circuit held the taxpayer’s argument was without merit. Although the IRM directed the revenue agent not to physically accept records in response to a third-party summons prior to expiration of the twenty-three day period in which the affected taxpayer could seek to quash the summons, such violation, while relevant to the bad faith inquiry presented in this case, did not constitute proof by itself of the IRS's bad faith in issuing the challenged summonses.

If the Service receives records from a third party before the expiration of the twenty-third day after notice is given:

Immediately seal the records in an appropriate container;

Mark the container with the date and time sealed; and

Secure the records until (a) any noticees have failed to file a petition to quash the summons within twenty-three days after notice or (b) the conclusion of legal proceedings addressing noticee's petition to quash the summons.

A petition to quash brought by the taxpayer suspends the period of limitations for assessment under IRC § 6501. IRC § 7609(e)(1) only tolls the statute of limitations for a taxpayer who petitions to quash the summons. If only one of the potentially responsible persons (regarding whose liabilities the Service issued separate summonses) files a petition to quash the summons, only that petitioner’s assessment statute is suspended. The statute is suspended for the period in which the proceeding and any appeals are pending.

If a summoned party’s response to a third-party exam summons (such as to determine TFRP liability) has not been resolved, the period of limitations for assessment under IRC § 6501, with respect to the taxpayer whose liability the summons is issued, is suspended beginning on the date which is 6 months after the service of the third-party summons. IRC § 7609(e)(2). The suspension ends upon final resolution of the summoned party’s response. Final resolution occurs when (a) the summons or any order enforcing all or part of the summons is fully complied with and (b) all appeals or requests for further review are disposed of or the period in which appeal can be taken or further review can be requested has expired. Treas. Reg. § 301.7609-5(e)(3).

FrumpyNoggin

Tranquility, thank you for your time and presentation on this matter.

The noticee must mail (by registered or certified mail) a copy of the petition to quash the summons to the summoned person and a copy to the IRS officer who issued the summons. This must be done within the twenty-day period, and is a jurisdictional prerequisite to the court hearing the complaint. Yocum v. United States, 586 F.Supp. 317 (N.D. Ind. 1984); Franklin v. United States, 581 F.Supp. 38 (E.D. Mich. 1984).

It says "...a jurisdictional prerequsite..." but I do not see any verbiage stating that following the rules outlined in IRC § 7609 cover the requirements of Fed.R.Civ.P 4 and 4(c) (e.g. no verbiage of "...and constitutes as Service pursuant to...". I just want to make sure by sending a copy to the IRS officer (via certified mail) I have met all the requirements of "service" and do not need to follow Fed.R.Civ.P 4(c) in addition to § 7609.

tranquility

Tranquility, thank you for your time and presentation on this matter.

It says "...a jurisdictional prerequsite..." but I do not see any verbiage stating that following the rules outlined in IRC § 7609 cover the requirements of Fed.R.Civ.P 4 and 4(c) (e.g. no verbiage of "...and constitutes as Service pursuant to...". I just want to make sure by sending a copy to the IRS officer (via certified mail) I have met all the requirements of "service" and do not need to follow Fed.R.Civ.P 4(c) in addition to § 7609.
Read the cases. They make the answer clear.

But, think about it. Who is the defendant in your suit to quash? It is the Commissioner of the Internal Revenue. Do you really think they want a bunch of petitions going there? The agent is not a party even though he is the one propounding the summons. The statute provides the method the government allows for service. Before you sue the government, they must give up sovereign immunity. To get to that point, you must follow some statute on how to get there. FRCP alone will get you dismissed.

TigerD

I cannot possibly think of any reason you would want to play pro se in Federal Court.

Get an attorney before you harm yourself.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">