• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does my son needs to file a federal and state tax return for 2015

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shawnusa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I am trying to do an e-file today, but Turbotax says I have to mail the return, but 4/18 is a state holiday and federal due on 4/18.

1. He is under the age of 16 and got the first W2 form for 2015
2. He made $1050 last year by working at a restaurant owned by others, shows on W2 form.
3. No tax withheld for both federal and state on W2 form
4. He never filled federal and state tax returns before

I checked online, some says he does not need to fill the federal and state return, is that right?

Please help! Thanks!!!

Last edited:

shawnusa

Federal due 4/18 and state due 4/19.

Here are what I found:

For federal: Single at least $10,300 to fill

For Mass state: Every individual inhabitant who receives or accrues Massachusetts gross income in excess of $8,000 must make a return of such income.

Looks like does not need to fill the returns.

Can anyone help me to confirm that? Much appreciated!!!

Stephen1

Regarding filing your return when you live in Maine or Massachusetts. I find this strange but it is what IRS says.
See: https://www.irs.com/articles/tax-deadline-alert-2015-tax-returns-are-due-april-18-2016

Here is an excerpt:
Patriots’ Day (Maine & Massachusetts Only): April 18, 2016
In Maine and Massachusetts, Patriots’ Day is a statewide legal holiday that’s observed on the third Monday of April. In 2016, Patriots’ Day will coincide with the Federal tax deadline (which was shifted to Monday, April 18). Therefore, taxpayers in Maine and Massachusetts will have until Tuesday, April 19, 2016 to file their individual income tax returns.

Residents of Maine and Massachusetts get an extra day because the IRS offices in those states are closed on Patriots’ Day (April 18, 2016). Since taxpayers are allowed to file their returns by hand-delivering the forms to a local IRS office, the due date is extended to the following day (April 19, 2016).

Here is an excerpt from IRS Revenue Ruling 2015-13:

“Pursuant to Treasury Regulation § 1.6091-2(d)(1), individuals who reside in Massachusetts and Maine may elect to file their returns by hand at their local IRS Office located in Massachusetts or Maine. When the last day for residents of those states to file their returns by hand falls on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, section 7503 extends the due date to the next succeeding day which is not a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday. We interpret this rule to extend the due date for filing income tax returns for all residents of Massachusetts and Maine pursuant to section 7503, including those who do not elect to file by hand. Accordingly, the statewide observance of Patriots’ Day in Massachusetts or Maine affects the due date for income tax returns of individuals who reside in Massachusetts and Maine, but it does not affect the due date of income tax returns for individuals who do not reside in Massachusetts or Maine.”

Taxpayers in Maine and Massachusetts are granted the extra day, whether they file by snail mail, e-file, or hand-delivery to an IRS facility.

davew128

Federal due 4/18 and state due 4/19.
For someone living in Mass to NOT know what day the deadline falls on is shameful, made worse when told to google it. :mad: It's not like Patriots Day is some new concept that Massachusetts concocted. :rolleyes:

tranquility

It's not like Patriots Day is some new concept that Massachusetts concocted. :rolleyes:
Um...from Wikipedia

Patriots' Day was first proclaimed in Massachusetts in 1894 by Gov. Frederic T. Greenhalge replacing Fast Day as a public holiday.[1]

[1] McMillan, Susan (April 20, 2014). "Patriot’s Day or Patriots’ Day? Punctuation confusion continues". Kennebec Journal. Retrieved 21 April 2014

shawnusa

For someone living in Mass to NOT know what day the deadline falls on is shameful, made worse when told to google it. :mad: It's not like Patriots Day is some new concept that Massachusetts concocted. :rolleyes:

Sorry to get people confused. I knew the due date and the Tax software also stated the deadlines.

Just want to confirm if need to fill the returns or not with $1050 income and without any tax withholding. Thanks for anyone who know this!!!

tranquility

Sorry to get people confused. I knew the due date and the Tax software also stated the deadlines.

Just want to confirm if need to fill the returns or not with $1050 income and without any tax withholding. Thanks for anyone who know this!!!
Realistically? I would not give an answer without a talk. Sure, it seems no. At the worst, what is the penalty? But, Obamacare and other things might make a difference.

File. Make everyone happy. Even if you didn't need to.

LdiJ

Realistically? I would not give an answer without a talk. Sure, it seems no. At the worst, what is the penalty? But, Obamacare and other things might make a difference.

File. Make everyone happy. Even if you didn't need to.
I think I disagree. He is a dependent on his parent's return and that will satisfy the Obamacare issues. If he had had any withholding I would agree with you, because he would get that back, but otherwise, I do not think this one I worth the effort. Even with online filing its likely that he would have to pay something to file the state return, and any state returns that I am familiar with, are a pain in the rear end to do by hand.

shawnusa

I think I disagree. He is a dependent on his parent's return and that will satisfy the Obamacare issues. If he had had any withholding I would agree with you, because he would get that back, but otherwise, I do not think this one I worth the effort. Even with online filing its likely that he would have to pay something to file the state return, and any state returns that I am familiar with, are a pain in the rear end to do by hand.
Thanks tranquility and LdiJ!

I was planning to file both federal and state tax returns for my son today, but due to the tax software does not allow me to do his online and the post office is not going to open tomorrow in Mass, will miss the federal return by one day if file by mail in post office, unless looking for a local IRS office.

So, as both stated, there is no need to file the returns due to my son only has $1050 income and no withholding.

Once again, thanks to clarify that, no need to file the tax returns for my son!

davew128

Um...from Wikipedia
I lived in Massachusetts for 37 years, I think I know all about it. Went to Fenway for the Patriots Day MORNING Red Sox game. Literally once watched the Boston Marathon finish from directly overhead. Like I said, its not a new concept.

tranquility

I lived in Massachusetts for 37 years, I think I know all about it. Went to Fenway for the Patriots Day MORNING Red Sox game. Literally once watched the Boston Marathon finish from directly overhead. Like I said, its not a new concept.
Ah, you focused on "new" and not "concept Massachusetts concocted".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">