+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    rygwelskin is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3

    Does paying off a student loan constitute a gift for income tax purposes?

    What is the name of your state? Michigan

    My boyfriend has offered to pay $20,000 toward my student loan debt, which totals $25,000. If he pays directly to the lender, would this count as a gift and require income tax to be paid on it?What is the name of your state?
  2. #2
    LdiJ is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    64,320
    Quote Originally Posted by rygwelskin View Post
    What is the name of your state? Michigan

    My boyfriend has offered to pay $20,000 toward my student loan debt, which totals $25,000. If he pays directly to the lender, would this count as a gift and require income tax to be paid on it?What is the name of your state?
    Yes, it would count as a gift. No there would be no income tax consequences. He will have to file a gift tax return, but there will be no tax due unless he has exceeded his lifetime exclusion of 1 million for gifting.
  3. #3
    rygwelskin is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3

    Gift tax for $20,000 student loan payment?

    Quote Originally Posted by LdiJ View Post
    Yes, it would count as a gift. No there would be no income tax consequences. He will have to file a gift tax return, but there will be no tax due unless he has exceeded his lifetime exclusion of 1 million for gifting.
    Thanks for your response, but just to clarify? Does the $12,000 annual limit apply in this case? I have been told that any gift larger than $12,000 requires tax paid by the giver.
  4. #4
    anteater is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by rygwelskin View Post
    Does the $12,000 annual limit apply in this case?
    Yes.

    I have been told that any gift larger than $12,000 requires tax paid by the giver.
    You have been told incorrectly. The amount of gifts to any one individual greater than $12.000 in any one year is reportable and requires filing of a gift tax return by the giver. However, as LDiJ said, there is a credit for the tax that would be due on first $1M of lifetime reportable gifts.
  5. #5
    rygwelskin is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3

    Gift tax.

    Thanks very much for clarifying this for me. You've been most helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 06:41 AM
  2. What constitutes a gift for tax purposes?
    By Sam Alford in forum Wills, Trusts and Estate Planning
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 08:20 PM
  3. College Student-need help (gift/income tax?)
    By needhelp12313 in forum Wills, Trusts and Estate Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 06:00 AM
  4. Student loan asking for 25% of income
    By nyversion in forum Debt Collections
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-04-2007, 02:18 PM
  5. can you get arrested for not paying a student loan?
    By jcat124 in forum Debt Collections
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 10:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.