• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does paying off a student loan constitute a gift for income tax purposes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rygwelskin

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My boyfriend has offered to pay $20,000 toward my student loan debt, which totals $25,000. If he pays directly to the lender, would this count as a gift and require income tax to be paid on it?What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My boyfriend has offered to pay $20,000 toward my student loan debt, which totals $25,000. If he pays directly to the lender, would this count as a gift and require income tax to be paid on it?What is the name of your state?
Yes, it would count as a gift. No there would be no income tax consequences. He will have to file a gift tax return, but there will be no tax due unless he has exceeded his lifetime exclusion of 1 million for gifting.

rygwelskin

Gift tax for $20,000 student loan payment?

Yes, it would count as a gift. No there would be no income tax consequences. He will have to file a gift tax return, but there will be no tax due unless he has exceeded his lifetime exclusion of 1 million for gifting.
Thanks for your response, but just to clarify? Does the $12,000 annual limit apply in this case? I have been told that any gift larger than $12,000 requires tax paid by the giver.

anteater

Does the $12,000 annual limit apply in this case?
Yes.

I have been told that any gift larger than $12,000 requires tax paid by the giver.
You have been told incorrectly. The amount of gifts to any one individual greater than $12.000 in any one year is reportable and requires filing of a gift tax return by the giver. However, as LDiJ said, there is a credit for the tax that would be due on first $1M of lifetime reportable gifts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">