+ Reply to Thread
    bharris is offline Junior Member

Does Virginia personal property tax on vehicles fall under "double taxation"?

I moved to Virginia from New Jersey one month ago. Before this time I had never heard of Personal Property taxes on vehicles. This is because New Jersey never required us to pay this tax. However, I would like to know if Personal property tax on vehicles falls under "double taxation"? I am asking because, I plan to purchase a car within the next few months. I know that I will have to pay taxes to the DMV upon purchase. Now I find out that I will also have to pay my city yearly taxes as well for the same vehicle. I do not think that it is fair that I have to pay my city additional yearly taxes for a car that I will have to pay taxes on upon purchase. Not only that, I own my home. Should I have to pay the city to park my car in my own driveway?
    Last edited by bharris; 02-15-2007 at 10:41 PM. Reason: added additional information
    anteater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bharris View Post
    ,,,, However, I would like to know if Personal property tax on vehicles falls under "double taxation"?
    No, it is not "double taxation." And, even if it were, "double taxation" is not prohibited.
    lukeroberts is offline Member

food for thought

I've lived and paid taxes in both states, and basically it is a wash.

Just think about this: Your overall tax burden is maybe still lower in VA depending on the value of your car and your income. Assuming the state income taxes are a wash at ~4% @ 100,000/ year. (Still much better than the raping MD gives you at 5.25+3% for state and local). The 2% difference in sales tax and MASSIVE difference in property taxes will have you coming out ahead, that is unless you have a ferrari or something.

Oh, and double taxation is not illegal. Do you have stocks? If so, you get double taxed every time you draw dividends. I still can't wrap my libertarian head around that one.
    bharris is offline Junior Member
    Thank you both for your response. I understand that every state have their own separate laws for certain things. However, I was not familiar with this VA law. This is why I was so shocked when I learned about it.