• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Donating Borrowed Funds - Tax Effects

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mushroom51

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan.
What are the tax effects of donating borrowed money secured by real estate. Simply put, If I am an owner/user of real estate and borrow money against it and donate the proceeds to a non-profit organization, where does that leave me tax wise. I know that the loan proceeds are not taxable. I know that the mortgage interest is deductible (for now). Are the donated funds deductible in whole or only as the proceeds are repaid.

FlyingRon

If you mean you got a check from the lender and donated the money to the charity, it is deductible (to the same extent any other charitable deduction would be) to you in the year you make it.

justalayman

and whether the interest is deductible or not necessarily be deductible. I presume the property is being used in a manner that would allow you to deduct the interest in some manner by your statements though.

the fact the money was borrowed is irrelevant as far as the donation goes. They are two completely separate issues. One is your donation. The other is your mortgaging of the property.

tranquility

In a money out refinance, only $100K will be deductible. (Assuming the money is not used to improve the home and you don't already have non-purchase money in the home equity financing.)

Also, because this will be non-purchase money, the Home Mortgage Forgiveness Act will not protect you from income if the loan is not repaid.

mushroom51

But wait...there's more!!. Suppose that I am also a non-profit. The other non-profit (which is totally unrelated) has agreed to occupy a portion of my premises in an arms length transaction as their operational offices. In return they will be making regular donations back to my non-profit in lieu of paying rent. Where,if any, is the tax liability?

tranquility

It was clear from the original question there is going to be some type of scheme in an attempt to game the system. I pointed out why you will have responsibility for the money no matter if you think there is a way through the responsibility shoals.

However, to the statement:
In return they will be making regular donations back to my non-profit in lieu of paying rent.
That's called "rent" and the "non-profit" will have to pay taxes on it.

mushroom51

Undisclosed Business Income is only UBI as long as it is undisclosed. I am only asking what and where the tax liabilities are in an ALT (look it up) between two non-profit organizations. BTW this is commercial - not residential real estate.

davew128

Undisclosed Business Income is only UBI as long as it is undisclosed. I am only asking what and where the tax liabilities are in an ALT (look it up) between two non-profit organizations. BTW this is commercial - not residential real estate.
UBI /= Undisclosed business income. (look it up)

tranquility

Apparently, you didn't look it up. But, if you are sophisticated enough to be using an Approximate Liquidity Target model as a non-profit financial management tool, you should probably have the Unrelated Business Income rules for non-profits down pat.

LdiJ

UBI /= Undisclosed business income. (look it up)
Its actually Unrelated Business Income.
From irs.gov:

Unrelated Business Income Defined

For most organizations, an activity is an unrelated business (and subject to unrelated business income tax) if it meets three requirements:

It is a trade or business,
It is regularly carried on, and
It is not substantially related to furthering the exempt purpose of the organization.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">