• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Donation money, income, how to do taxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

red1837

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Indiana

I have been collecting donation money for animals rescues for a small percentage of the money donated.

For example, I may collect $500 for the rescue, and keep $50.00 to cover my time and effort.

I create a donation page through youcaring.com and collect the money to my paypal account. I then pay the rescue their portion of the donations, and transfer my "pay" to my bank account.

I know I need to pay taxes on my income, but I'm concerned on how the donation money is being collected since technically, the public is donating to me, and then I in turn, transfer the money to the rescue.

Is every dime that I collect considered my income, since I am actually the person the funds are being sent to? Or is there some way that I can keep track and verify what I am being payed and what the rescues are getting?

How should I handle this?

Thank you.

davew128

Did you check with your state's attorney general's office to see if what you're doing is legal? You're operating a charity and paying yourself from it...

Not to denigrate what you're trying to do or the cause, but a public charity has to be registered.

red1837

Did you check with your state's attorney general's office to see if what you're doing is legal? You're operating a charity and paying yourself from it...

Not to denigrate what you're trying to do or the cause, but a public charity has to be registered.
Thank you. I checked my attorney generals website, and it states that I must register as a profesional soliciter, so it looks like I wont be doing this anymore. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">