• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dual status

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NY

Hi,

I entered the US on July 11, 2002 as J-1 researcher. There is no tax treaty with my country. I paid my federal and state taxes for 2002 and 2003 as non-resident. Now, I realize that I can be considered as resident for tax purposes since July 11, 2004. Is it correct?

If yes, I understand that I have to file as non-resident for Jan 1, 2004 to July 10, 2004, but as resident for July 11 to Dec 31. Thus I guess I will have to file both 1040NR and 1040, correct?

Furthermore, in terms of NY state tax, I am somewhat confused. I guess a similar situation occurs, no?

Finally, although federal and state taxes were withheld, no city tax was withheld. If I am considered as resident for state tax purposes, I will have to pay the city taxes not withheld, but only for the period July 11 to Dec 31, no?

Thanks for any information you may bring

Marc

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">