• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Early Withdrawal of 401k

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bettybee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
From 2008-the first quarter of 2012 I lived and worked in Nevada (no state income tax). During this time, I contributed to my retirement 401(k). In April 2012, my husband and I moved to Colorado (state income tax). I have not been employed or earned income in the state of Colorado. In November 2012, my husband was laid off from his job. To help pay the bills and rent, I opted to do an early cash out of my entire 401(k). An automatic 20%, and 10% penalty was withheld. I did not withhold for Colorado. That being said, do I have to pay state taxes on my withdrawal considering not one penny was earned in this state?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's not a question of where you were when the funds were set aside. It's a question of where you were when you received the distribution.

FlyingRon

It matters NOT where you EARNED the money but where you lived when made the contributions, it is where you lived when you made the withdrawal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">