• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EIC laws for Mississippi

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aprilinmiss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi. My divorce papers state my ex-husband can claim our daughter as a depenedent every other year. She lives with me. She visits him every other weekend and 4 weeks during summer. Can he claim her on his Earned Income Credit? Everything I have read states that he can not claim her (even if I don't) because she does not live with him atleast 6 months out of the year. Is he breaking the law by claiming her? This is his year to claim her as a dependent, but he also claimed her for EIC. Please let me know ASAP. My husband and I are filing our taxes in a couple of days and I do not know if I need to claim her on EIC.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi. My divorce papers state my ex-husband can claim our daughter as a depenedent every other year. She lives with me. She visits him every other weekend and 4 weeks during summer. Can he claim her on his Earned Income Credit? Everything I have read states that he can not claim her (even if I don't) because she does not live with him atleast 6 months out of the year. Is he breaking the law by claiming her? This is his year to claim her as a dependent, but he also claimed her for EIC. Please let me know ASAP. My husband and I are filing our taxes in a couple of days and I do not know if I need to claim her on EIC.
It does NOT appear that your X was entitled to file EIC; you will have to file a paper return to include you child on YOUR tax return for EIC purposes. The government will straighten that one one in 4-6 months. He is NOT the custodial parent; he cannot claim EIC (or child & dependent care) credits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">