• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EIN for C-Corp without SSN, C-Corp Unable to Hire or Do Business in the US?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cyrix

I am a non-US resident currently in California on a tourism visa to start a C-Corp in CA. I need to apply for an EIN for the company.

Here is the problem: my incorporation agent (a pretty large and well-known one) has told me that since I don't have a SSN or an ITIN, the EIN will be obtained from the IRS' international department and it will make my c-corp a "foreign entity" which will be disqualified from doing business or hiring in the US.

Is that true? I want to hire people in the US!!

Thank you.

davew128

I am a non-US resident currently in California on a tourism visa to start a C-Corp in CA. I need to apply for an EIN for the company.

Here is the problem: my incorporation agent (a pretty large and well-known one) has told me that since I don't have a SSN or an ITIN, the EIN will be obtained from the IRS' international department and it will make my c-corp a "foreign entity" which will be disqualified from doing business or hiring in the US.

Is that true? I want to hire people in the US!!

Thank you.
Attorneys make the worst tax advisors, especially immigration attorneys dealing with tax law as pertains to NRAs (speaking from experience). Your corp is a domestic corp. It is a foreign OWNED corp, but a domestic corp nonetheless. I don't know about the hiring aspect, but getting the EIN will take longer because of the reason described, unless you make someone else the responsible party (the attorney?) and get it online. I would otherwise get off your butt and get that ITIN asap (knowing it takes time).

Cyrix

Attorneys make the worst tax advisors, especially immigration attorneys dealing with tax law as pertains to NRAs (speaking from experience). Your corp is a domestic corp. It is a foreign OWNED corp, but a domestic corp nonetheless. I don't know about the hiring aspect, but getting the EIN will take longer because of the reason described, unless you make someone else the responsible party (the attorney?) and get it online. I would otherwise get off your butt and get that ITIN asap (knowing it takes time).
The thing is that the ITIN can't be obtained until next year's tax season, so I have to apply for the EIN without an ITIN.
It is possible to get the EIN without an ITIN through calling the IRS' international department, but I don't want to be not able to do business in the US or having a much higher tax rate at the corp level because of doing so.

Last edited:

LdiJ

The thing is that the ITIN can't be obtained until next year's tax season, so I have to apply for the EIN without an ITIN.
It is possible to get the EIN without an ITIN through calling the IRS' international department, but I don't want to be not able to do business in the US or having a much higher tax rate at the corp level because of doing so.
Your attorney is wrong. Find another attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">