• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer changing fringe benefit to a working condition benefit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

combia1

I work for a large state university and take graduate level courses. Normally, the U will pay the first $5,250 in tuition and anything above and beyond that is considered additional income so additional income tax is withheld from my paychecks as a result. Since this is considered a fringe benefit, this makes sense.

However, the U has a little-known form they don't like to talk about. You can file paperwork with the U that says your grad school should be consided a working condition benefit. When this is filed, they do not withhold extra income tax for any tuition paid beyond the federal $5,250 cap. A co-worker filed the paperwork at in December and the U even cut her a check for about $10k for all of the extra withholding for the past year! Does this make sense?

Here is my question. I did not know about this paperwork so I could not file for 2006 and 2007 with the U - I have done it for 2008 though. But the U can not retroactively "refund" that extra withholding so in essence I had about $20K extra withheld the past two years that I will never see. Can I push the U to give this back? Can I file an amended tax return?

This issue will impact thousands of employees at the U who also take classes.

xylene

Can I push the U to give this back?
No. The tax withheld was paid to the federal government.

Can I file an amended tax return?
You have a right to file an ammended return as a taxpayer. I am not conviced by the evidence you provide that this is justified or will result in tax savings.

You really should to consult with a tax professional if you choose to do so.

This issue will impact thousands of employees at the U who also take classes.
Unlikely. Employers are under no requirement to treat tax situations homogeneously.

Also, I disagree with your logic. Why would the school not want you to know about a tax situation that also benefits them as well?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">