• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer stole money from me: not reporting taxes withheld

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

launica7

What is the name of your state?Virginia - My employer sent me overseas to open their branch office. As part of this, "tax equalization" was put into effect... I had a 'hypothetical tax' withheld from each paycheck that was put into a separate account held by my employer. From this, my U.S. federal and state taxes were to be paid. My employer never paid any of my taxes. I have returned to the U.S., have received my W-2s, and over $10,000 in 'hypothetical tax' that was witheld has not been reported. The company is closing, I was let go, and I have fought to get this statement corrected. The company says they will correct it, but I have yet to receive a W-2C or information about how I can have access to my money inorder to pay my taxes. They refuse to respond. As it is, I'm liable for U.S. Federal and State taxes, and now foreign taxes as well, and the company still has my money. What can I do????????? Especially when they close their doors and file bankruptcy.....? Has anyone ever heard of an employer stealing from an employee? :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">