• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Error filing taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaiz

Hello,

Both my wife and I filed taxes as single (we were married on 12/30/08 and I didn't do my research right!!). Both of us have received refunds (federal and CA state). Can I still change filing status to married filing jointly? Would that require an amendment for BOTH of us? Also, I used Turbo Tax the first time around; can I still do the amendment as above using the software?

Thanks for all your help.

LdiJ

Hello,

Both my wife and I filed taxes as single (we were married on 12/30/08 and I didn't do my research right!!). Both of us have received refunds (federal and CA state). Can I still change filing status to married filing jointly? Would that require an amendment for BOTH of us? Also, I used Turbo Tax the first time around; can I still do the amendment as above using the software?

Thanks for all your help.
You would do one amended return. I have no idea whether Turbotax could handle that properly or not.

However, I can tell you that if you get the amended return filed and any balance due paid by April 15th, you will not incur any penalties.

I would recommend using a tax professional.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">