• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Error on W2

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbever

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN
I found an error on the local wages, tips, etc. It's much less then the federal wages,tips and state wages and tips. I'm pretty sure they should all be the same amount. Do I need to contact my employer and request a corrected W2 or can I file my taxes as usual?

Thank you!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN
I found an error on the local wages, tips, etc. It's much less then the federal wages,tips and state wages and tips. I'm pretty sure they should all be the same amount. Do I need to contact my employer and request a corrected W2 or can I file my taxes as usual?

Thank you!
You should ask your employer for an explanation before assuming that its an error.

There are still a few Indiana counties with no local income tax. Therefore if you worked or lived in more than one county, that could explain the descrepancy.

sbever

I understand, but my spouse has the same income in the state and local income and we live together in the same county. That's why I assumed the amount was incorrect. If after checking with my employer to find out if it is an error, can I go ahead and file our taxes by calculating the percent they withhold and not wait on the W2?

Thanks for the fast reply.

LdiJ

I understand, but my spouse has the same income in the state and local income and we live together in the same county. That's why I assumed the amount was incorrect. If after checking with my employer to find out if it is an error, can I go ahead and file our taxes by calculating the percent they withhold and not wait on the W2?

Thanks for the fast reply.
No, you would have to wait for a corrected W2.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">