• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ESPP shares transfer a disposition?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dirtyangus

What is the name of your state? Texas

Are there tax consequences for transfering ESPP qualified shares to another general brokerage account, even though shares have not been sold?

I recently received an audit notice that these shares were reported as sold. Ouch!

efflandt

Do you find anything on irs.gov allowing "transfer" of ESPP shares? They only discuss qualified and disqualified disposition.

Sounds like transferring shares out of the ESPP is considered a disposition, even if a like-kind trade, since an unrelated broker would not be able to properly account/report the ESPP end of it. You should find that your cost basis at your general broker is the closing stock price on date of transfer (unless any expenses were deducted). So future gain/loss would be related to that price.

I am not a tax expert (just do my own). But it looks like something you should have researched further before deciding if or how much to transfer each year. For example, I am gradually converting IRA to Roth annually to avoid bumping into a higher tax bracket (or eligibility limit).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">