• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex is at it again.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blkhrtangel

:( What is the name of your state? KS 2 years ago was the last time my Ex and myself filed a joint return at the time he owed $900 and I owed $100. In the divorce he assumed all debt from our marriage and was told to pay the taxes. However he took it upon himself to not pay them and is now telling me I have to pay it. I want to know if he can do this or if there is anything I can do so that I only have to pay my share? :( :confused:

LdiJ

blkhrtangel said:
:( What is the name of your state? KS 2 years ago was the last time my Ex and myself filed a joint return at the time he owed $900 and I owed $100. In the divorce he assumed all debt from our marriage and was told to pay the taxes. However he took it upon himself to not pay them and is now telling me I have to pay it. I want to know if he can do this or if there is anything I can do so that I only have to pay my share? :( :confused:
Because it was a joint return, the IRS is going to hold both of you equally responsible for the taxes due.

You can take him back to court for contempt.

45Frank

I lived in NJ and my X did the samething I have taken her back to court for not paying one thing in the divorce. Well the Judge refuses to hold her liable and will not hold her in contempt, my understanding was that I had to prove that she is willfully not paying, go figure my attorney and I kooked at each other. He billed me and that was that.

QUOTE=blkhrtangel]:( What is the name of your state? KS 2 years ago was the last time my Ex and myself filed a joint return at the time he owed $900 and I owed $100. In the divorce he assumed all debt from our marriage and was told to pay the taxes. However he took it upon himself to not pay them and is now telling me I have to pay it. I want to know if he can do this or if there is anything I can do so that I only have to pay my share? :( :confused:[/QUOTE]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">