• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex claimed my year

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

In cases like this what usually happens? I am filing my 2007 and 2008 taxes at the same time. Per the Parenting Plan that my ex and I have states that I claim my daughter in odd numbered years. My ex claimed her last year 2007 even though it was my year... What can I do so that I can get credit for 2007? Thank you for taking the time reading this.

Some Random Guy

File your taxes claiming your daughter for 2007. When the IRS audits the both of you, show them the legal document showing you have the right to claim you child for that year. If the IRS feels the need to get their money back from your ex, he may be liable for penalties and interest.

Discuss the situation with an accountant and your ex. If your ex sees the light and is agreeable, it may be easier for all of you if you leave the child off of the 2007 return and your ex just pays you what you would save by claiming the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">