• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-husband won't give up refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dkmcclain

What is the name of your state?OH
My ex and I filed jointly before our divorce was final. He owed back child support and they took all of the refund. I then filed the injured spouse fund. Now IRS says they are sending the refund to him because we filed jointly. He won't give it to me nor allow me to sign it. He also states he will forge my name on the check and cash it. :eek: I am at a loss because I am disabled and can no longer work. Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks

LdiJ

dkmcclain said:
What is the name of your state?OH
My ex and I filed jointly before our divorce was final. He owed back child support and they took all of the refund. I then filed the injured spouse fund. Now IRS says they are sending the refund to him because we filed jointly. He won't give it to me nor allow me to sign it. He also states he will forge my name on the check and cash it. :eek: I am at a loss because I am disabled and can no longer work. Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks
You are going to have to take it to court. He might also face some criminal penalties if he forges your name to the check. Didn't you fill out the injured spouse form asking that the check be written only to you and to be sent to your address? If not, that was a mistake.

Try to contact the IRS again...if it hasn't been mailed yet there is still a chance you could get this corrected.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">