• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Wife claiming son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shamcold

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

In the divorce decree, I was instructed to pay 140 per week in child support, which i think is a bit high for one child when i make 30000 per year without bonuses which are not guarenteed. However I get to claim my child every year on my taxes. This year, and perhaps the last two years, she has just gone ahead and claimed him. Now I find out on tax day I owe 2000 instead of 200. What steps should I take?

Josh Odle

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

In the divorce decree, I was instructed to pay 140 per week in child support, which i think is a bit high for one child when i make 30000 per year without bonuses which are not guarenteed. However I get to claim my child every year on my taxes. This year, and perhaps the last two years, she has just gone ahead and claimed him. Now I find out on tax day I owe 2000 instead of 200. What steps should I take?

Josh Odle
what is the exact wording of the court order?

LdiJ

what is the exact wording of the court order?
And are you current with your child support?

On top of that, for the exemption to be worth 1800.00 to you, you would have to be making considerably more than 30k, OR, you would have to be claiming tax benefits an ncp is not entitled to claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">