• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-wife claims wrong dependent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rkk916

What is the name of your state?Indiana
I have custody of my 15 year old daughter and my ex-wife has custody of my 18 year old son. After filing my taxes and getting it rejected I found out that my exwife had already claimed my daughter on her taxes. She told me to just go ahead and claim my son on my taxes. I told her no because he does not qualify for the child tax credit of $1000 but my duaghter does. I told her that she needed to file an amendment to her taxes before I can file mind. She has not returned my calls since and I need to know what actions I should take next.

Snipes5

File your return on paper. Indicate that you have custody of your daughter, etc. Provide written proof, that will make things go faster.

Also attach a note to the front of the return indicating that the return was previously rejected, and the reason code & explanation. That too will speed things along.

It will take a while, but you will get your money, and they will get your ex-wife.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">