• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex won't sign Tax Form 8332

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debinny

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
My Ex-husband and I have been divorced for several years now and have 3 children..20 (in college), 18 (still in HS) and a 12. We have joint custody but he is considered the custodial parent because he has them more the I do. I developed a relationship with someone else and my ex retaliated by taking me to court for child support which I pay now. Previously I always claimed the kids on my income tax when no support was paid by either and he also has no income due to being on permenant disabily, social security and has no income. Now he refuses to sign the 8332 form so I can claim the child tax credit & exemptions and he doesn't file due to no taxable income...so basically they go unclaimed??? Any suggestions on what I can do about this??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
My Ex-husband and I have been divorced for several years now and have 3 children..20 (in college), 18 (still in HS) and a 12. We have joint custody but he is considered the custodial parent because he has them more the I do. I developed a relationship with someone else and my ex retaliated by taking me to court for child support which I pay now. Previously I always claimed the kids on my income tax when no support was paid by either and he also has no income due to being on permenant disabily, social security and has no income. Now he refuses to sign the 8332 form so I can claim the child tax credit & exemptions and he doesn't file due to no taxable income...so basically they go unclaimed??? Any suggestions on what I can do about this??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You need to take him back to court and get him ordered to sign form 8332. I would also go ahead and claim the children since he cannot claim them. You would win under the tiebreaker rules if he allowed anyone else to claim them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">