• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expect lengthy negotiations w/IRS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sard0nicpan

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Louisiana

Situation: I owe about 20,000 in taxes in penalties for unfiled tax returns between 1995-2001.

History:During that time I had a head injury and ended up with epilepsy. Somehow, although I was in a haze most of the time due to medication, I still worked and made decent money. Problem was I was not handling my personal life very well, sufferred from extremely bad judgement, and let myself fall into a fiscal hole.

I declared and was granted Bankruptcy in 1998--most of my debt was discharged except taxes and my student loan (which is still in default).

By 2002, my condition improved markedly (actually, I have not had a seizure in nearly 5 years and I have been off medication for three years). Since that time I have been putting things back together.

For the years 2002 & 2003, I made no more than 11,000 in either year. By 2004, I was working more (contract related) and made 27,000. In 2005, I have become a permanent worker at 40,000 per annum. Now that I am back on my feet, I see the light at the end of the tunnel. However, I also realize that the IRS will be standing there blocking the way.

As you might realize, my savings are still quite meager (I have about 1600 in my account). So, I need to negotiate some sort of deal before garnishments etc begin.

I know I need representation, however, how can I afford it? I am considering using PRE-Paid Legal for at least some advice, however, I am leary of them. Are they trustworthy? I see they have problems with people who work for them, yet, on the legal side I still see them being recommended.
Any opinions? Should I try them out?

I know eventually I will need someone to actually represent me before the IRS. The horror stories about those who go it alone do not persuade me otherwise. Am I correct in this assumption?

Please share your experiences in this manner, I need all the help I can get.

Thanks,
SP

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">