• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

failure to file notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

19willow

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I recently received a notice from the state stating I failed to file 2005 state tax. I usually do a good job keeping a copy of the only filing but I dont have anything from 2004. The penalty is 100% of the tax I should pay according the notice. I am 99% sure i filed tax as I havent failed to file tax for any year. I do not have any way to prove (I dont think) that I filed tax for that year. Any help in this matter will be appreciated. Thank you.

davew128

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I recently received a notice from the state stating I failed to file 2005 state tax. I usually do a good job keeping a copy of the only filing but I dont have anything from 2004.
2004 wouldn't have anything to do with 2005 being filed or not.

The penalty is 100% of the tax I should pay according the notice. I am 99% sure i filed tax as I havent failed to file tax for any year. I do not have any way to prove (I dont think) that I filed tax for that year. Any help in this matter will be appreciated. Thank you.
Call the IRS and verify if you filed with them for 2005. Then ask if a 1099-G was issued by Massachusetts in 2006 in the event that return was a refund (this is called being a detective).

Then check your banking records for evidence of either a payment due or a refund deposited from MA in 2006. If you can't find it, you didn't file a return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">