• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False property tax lawsuit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ARdave

Im in Houston Texas.

a few weeks ago, we received notice of pending litigation over unpaid property taxes, with our address, but a different persons name, and tax account number listed. contacted the attorneys office and alerted them to the mistake, which they confirmed was 100% a mistake on their end, and that it would be corrected ASAP.

Today, we get served with a lawsuit, naming the other person (who we don't know), as well as us. still listing the incorrect tax information (our account has never been late or unpaid and currently shows $0 balance owed by the way).

Now. Im as understanding as the next guy. but im also greedy. So i guess the heart of my question is this. Since we made the good faith effort to correct their information, and they falsified a legal document when they filed that suit anyway. would a counter-suit be a slam dunk? I'm going Monday to talk to a lawyer and see if we can file against them. But i thought i would ask for some random opinions first. to

also, what would you consider as reasonable punitive damages to seek? 500k, 1 million? need it to be enough to make the deal sweet for a lawyer to want to take. my mother is the owner of the house, for her whole life, and she has already suffered multiple heart attacks, and is now complaining about chest pains after opening the letter. Does this make things better as well? pain and suffering and all that? Sorry. Green eyed monster taking over. Haha

davew128

My random opinion (haha) should be that you talk to the attorney rather than asking a bunch of random people whether you think you have damages over being sued.

Stephen1

Whatever you do, don't ignore the lawsuit. That it was incorrect will be little solace if your mother has to fight to regain the property after the party suing her aquires title to the house because she (and you) ignored going to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">