• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

family & home in one state, but works in another

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

denibeans63

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new york
you've given great advice before, so here goes: husband STILL working in nebraska (after 2 years). our son and i live in our home in NY. We do not owe anything on the home. Husband has an apartment there, He flies home every 5 weeks or so for a few days at a time. Company does not reimburse him for his travel or his apartment . he supports son and I (I work but he pays school taxes, utilities, etc)

Question is : does he need to file taxes in NE or NY or both? We will get a bad deal this year with no home ownership to write off ...can he claim his travel back and forth? His apartment?

and what kind of tax expert does he need? is a place like H&R block ok, or does he get a CPA, or does he need a person who specializes in taxes.

This arrangement is becoming more trouble than it is worth and costing money...but we didn't want to take a loss on selling the house, he's not sure he like his job enough to move the whole family out there, so we are biding our time...and if he quits to live at home...no unemployment...no way out of this! Thanks for help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">