• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fed. reporting of NQSO cashless for cash exercise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justtoknow

What is the name of your state? Georgia
I exercised a NQSO in 2004. It was a cashless for cash exercise (no shares were held and sold at a later date). The taxable amount of the option is included in my W-2 (box 12c-V). Taxes were withheld also and are include on W-2. I received a 1099-B from the broker which shows (in box 2) total proceeds (market value of options at exercise) from the transaction. Box 4 does not show any tax withheld. I assume that since the income/gain is already included in Box 1 of the W-2, that I do not report the 1099-B gross proceeds as a stock transaction on Schedule D. If I don't, will the IRS not flag my return since they receive a copy of the 1099-B?

Snipes5

Report it on Schedule D as a wash, no gain, no loss. This will cover the 1099B issue.

The "V" on your W-2 will clue the IRS in to the fact that the transaction was reported on your W-2.

Snipes

justtoknow

Many thanks. I had a vague assumption that would be what needs to happen. I have exercised options in the past (that were include in W-2), but never received a 1099-B, so it didin't cross my mind to even worry.

Thanks again, big help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">