• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal Audit Letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

California3689

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? tate (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,

I received a letter a few months ago stating that my 2007 return had been audited. There was a payment agreement form with the letter which I promptly returned along with a check for the amount that I could afford to pay immediately. About a month later I received a letter from the IRS stating that they had received my check and accepted the payment agreement. The letter stated that it would take 4-6 weeks to confirm my banking information and that no further action was required by me unless I wanted to make another payment.

So, a few weeks ago I received yet another letter. The problem is that this letter is EXACTLY like the very first letter I received. No mention of the payment plan or the money that I originally sent.

My question is whether or not my plan of action is a good one. I am writing a letter to the IRS including dates and copies of the letters that I received from them. The basic point of the letter is to ask if someone can let me know why I got this last letter. I am going to send it certified mail and of course hold on to the receipt. Is this the right way to go? I've tried to call the number on the letter and it is only an automated line.

I just want to make sure I don't end up in a position to get my wages garnished. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Suzanne

tranquility

You're a long way from garnishment and your situation shows why one does not get to rush the government. Follow the terms of the first acceptance letter and mail the money when told to. Wait for further instructions from the government, but if you really are worred, call the IRS and see if the computer is updated yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">