• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal and immigration issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wangle61

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA but federal I guess

Hi there! I am an immmigrant and my spouse sponsored me with the I864. When we got divorced the court did not order alimony but once the divorce was final my ex paid a certain amount one year and took a tax deduction for it because they said it was alimony and I got a tax debt but my question is this.

What does IRS count as alimony and spousal support because I did not ask the court for it but my ex took the alimony deduction and now I have a small tax debt so I'm wondering that because this was angreement that my ex made between them and the federal government that am I still liable for this tax debt if it isn't really how IRS counts alimony because it was not through court?

Thanks and have a great day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">