• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal Income Tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

savas

What is the name of your state? HI
I've a question about Federal Income Tax.
I am a non immigrant worker in US and started work from second week of August here. Somehow I was unable to receive my pay for the month of August 2005 and I got pay for the month of August 2005 and September 2005 together in September 2005. Due to this my pay for September 2005 was above 10% tax criteria and the federal income tax of 15% was deducted from my pay. Can I claim the extra deducted money back somehow? What are the laws in this subject?

Snipes5

When you file your taxes at the end of the year, if you are due a refund, you will receive it then.

The "criteria" as you put it, don't result in deductions of either ten percent or 15 percent.

It sounds like the withholding was correct, and since you received your pay in a lump sum, that's why it was done that way. You MAY be able to get some of it back by talking to your employer right away, but don't be surprised if they are unable or unwilling to do that.

They don't have to do that for you, because they have done nothing wrong. You are probably just stuck until you file the return next January or February.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">