• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal Return Mistake (Missing ITINs)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

selimevets

State: n/a (Canada)

Per the IRS website, I will be receiving a notice shortly indicating I did not provide ITINs for my dependants. In hindsight, it seems I should have filed W-7s along with my 1040. Since I did not, what should I expect from the rest of the mistake notification process? Will I be able to respond with W-7s and have them re-adjust my return? Will I have to submit W-7s through the normal channels and file a 1040X later instead?

Thanks in advance!

abezon

Generally, W-7 forms will only be processed if submitted with a tax return. Prepare a 1040X & add the properly executed W-7s, then mail everything to the ITIN unit. The address is in the instructions.

LdiJ

State: n/a (Canada)

Per the IRS website, I will be receiving a notice shortly indicating I did not provide ITINs for my dependants. In hindsight, it seems I should have filed W-7s along with my 1040. Since I did not, what should I expect from the rest of the mistake notification process? Will I be able to respond with W-7s and have them re-adjust my return? Will I have to submit W-7s through the normal channels and file a 1040X later instead?

Thanks in advance!
What's going to happen is that the IRS is going to refigure your tax without your dependents.

Then, you would send in an amended return, putting your dependents back on the return, and sending in ITIN applications with the return. Both the return and the applications have to be sent in together, to the ITIN unit in Austin TX (the address will be in the instructions).

You will need to send in notarized copies (notarized by a US Notary) of your dependent's ID. I will tell you right now, that the ITIN unit has been extremely inconsistant with what ID they will or won't accept for dependents. Therefore I have been recommending, whenever possible, that a passport be used as identification. If you use a passport, you only need that for ID.

Also, the ITIN applications must be signed by the individual if they are 14 or older, and by a parent of the individual if they are younger than 14. So if your dependents don't live with you, make sure that you get those apps filled out and signed ASAP.

The whole process takes about 4 months in the off season.

abezon

I will tell you right now, that the ITIN unit has been extremely inconsistant with what ID they will or won't accept for dependents.
Not only are they inconsistent, the new ITIN office's processors have a tendency lose all paperwork, or to process the ITIN application, then lose the return it was attached to! At least the Philly office had some clue what it was doing...

Send everything "return receipt" or certified mail so you have proof of mailing. You might even want to take all the papers to the local IRS office for date stamping.

LdiJ

Not only are they inconsistent, the new ITIN office's processors have a tendency lose all paperwork, or to process the ITIN application, then lose the return it was attached to! At least the Philly office had some clue what it was doing...

Send everything "return receipt" or certified mail so you have proof of mailing. You might even want to take all the papers to the local IRS office for date stamping.
Don't I know EXACTLY what you are talking about...it has been a nightmare this year.

However I disagree about sending things "return receipt" or certified...when we have tried that the mail often comes back undelivered.....and sometimes some of these taxpayers don't have sufficient ID to get themselves into the local federal building.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">