• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal Tax Lien??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PatchPack

What is the name of your state? NC

I currently live in NC. My husband and I are thinking of buying our home. I pulled my credit report and was VERY surprised to find that I have a Federal tax lien filed in Dec, 96 & a State tax lien in Mar 92. Both are filed in MARYLAND. I was wondering how they could have gotten there since I was not working during those years. Could they be from my ex-husband? If so, am I responsible for them since we filed jointly during those years? How long will they be on MY credit report? And where do I start to get them off my report??

Dandy Don

When you found out about these liens, was this the first time you were aware of them?

You can either contact the agency who issues your credit report and ask them to have the creditor reaffirm the debt, or contact the county courthouse of the applicable city and try to get a copy of the file sent to you (information may even be available online at the county courthouse for that city).

The fact that you were not working has no bearing in this instance. It was somehow decided that someone, either you or your husband, owed this money and so the lien was issued.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])O

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">