• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal Tax refund Offset Program

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My wife disputes a debt that the State of Maryland is trying to collect. It originated from her first marriage and was a fine for a lapse in car insurance back in 1993. The first either one of us knew of the existance of this debt was in 2004 when she got a letter from the CCU of Maryland. She disputed it at the time and never heard another word or got anymore letters. In 2007, my wife had to quit her job due to a disability.Then last year, we got our Federal and State refunds as usual filing jointly but a few months later as part of the Stimulus she was due a $250 disability check from Social security. The $250 check was intercepted by the State of Maryland.

I checked the IRS website and as far as I can tell, the Offset program only allows tax refunds to be intercepted to pay past due taxes to both state and federal, non-tax debts owed to federal agencies and child support**************is this correct?

Can the state of maryland take this non-tax debt that I have nothing to do with from my upcoming joint return?
Is there any way I can find out if my wife is on a tax offset list before I file our taxes?

any advice would be very much appreciated

ecmst12

2004 was WAY too late for her to try disputing. You should PAY THE DEBT and then you won't have to worry about it anymore.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">