• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ltosca

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

My husband has been working for the same company for the past 9 years and has filled out numerous W2s to have Federal taxes taken out of his pay. All the other taxes are being taken out, but never Federal.

We have had to suffer wage garnishments from his paycheck to pay the IRS and I do not think it is fair that my husband be responsible to pay back the IRS, what was legally supposed to be withheld by his employer - not to mention all the penalties & hardships this error has caused us in the past & still now.

Is there any legal action we can take to rectify this problem?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My husband has been working for the same company for the past 9 years and has filled out numerous W2s to have Federal taxes taken out of his pay. All the other taxes are being taken out, but never Federal.

We have had to suffer wage garnishments from his paycheck to pay the IRS and I do not think it is fair that my husband be responsible to pay back the IRS, what was legally supposed to be withheld by his employer - not to mention all the penalties & hardships this error has caused us in the past & still now.

So tell me - when you saw that fed taxes weren't being withheld, why didn't you set up an account to save the amounts you KNEW you'd have to pay. (you=hubby)

LdiJ

What information did he put on his W-4?
That's an important question. If they are withholding all other taxes, there is no reason why they should not be withholding federal income taxes as well. That indicates to me that its a W4 problem rather than the fault of the employer.

It sounds like your husband is claiming too many exemptions.

irsos

Did you file tax returns? If you had, you would have known there was a problem with the first one 9 years ago. If not, filing your tax returns will lower or eliminate the tax liability.

davew128

I do not think it is fair that my husband be responsible to pay back the IRS, what was legally supposed to be withheld by his employer
And why wasn't the tax paid each year in April with the extra money you saved with less withholding?

Paying the amount owed is a good start.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">