• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fellowship state tax report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

evap

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Hi,
I receive a fellowship at MA for grad school and I am a non-resident. The fellowship covers tuitions and fees and provides extra money for living expenses, but is not tied to any work on my part, just for studying at the university (on a degree program). I received form 1042-S reporting the extra money with a copy just for the federal tax form. I have filed federal form 1040NR-EZ reporting that amount (for which a tax was withheld and I qualify for a partial refund). But to this point I couldn't get a straight answer from MA DOR or international office at the univ. should I file state tax form and report the part that is for living expenses or not. And the terminology for taxable vs non-taxable income are not specific and always end with "all other types of income falling within the definition of Massachusetts source income" as I tried to figure it out from the mass.gov website. Please help! Thanks a lot.
Eva

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">