• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

few simple questions !

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Packerfan

What is the name of your state? WI

Hi there,

i have two jobs one of them was filed (the W-4 form ) as exempt (from last year)!
so they are not withholding any fedral or state taxes in my scond job !
now, i want them to withhold some money so i wont get fined

i will be a full time student at the college this fall, and i will live in the dorms, so most of what i will get paid will go for college expanses

So my questions are ..

_ can i file as a head of a household since i am gonna spend most of what i will make this year in college expanses ..

_ my averge in line "H" of the personal allowances worksheet in page 1 is "2" ... but in the deductions and adjustment worksheet in page 2 ... i got the total of "4" ... so which one of them should i enter in line 5 in the form ??

_ which is the best form to file taxes if i was a student and i got financial aid and live at the dorms and if i am working and study

by the way, i am not a US citizen, i am an asylee ... and probably i will file for 2007 as an asylee since my permanent resident application will take a long time !

Thanks a lot and if you have any questions for me, please ask

Ben

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? WI

Hi there,

i have two jobs one of them was filed (the W-4 form ) as exempt (from last year)!
so they are not withholding any fedral or state taxes in my scond job !
now, i want them to withhold some money so i wont get fined.

i will be a full time student at the college this fall, and i will live in the dorms, so most of what i will get paid will go for college expanses

So my questions are ..

_ can i file as a head of a household since i am gonna spend most of what i will make this year in college expanses ..

No, that has nothing to do with head of household status. Unless you have dependent children who will also be living with you in the dorms, you are not head of household. You would be single if you are single, or perhaps married filing jointly if you are married.

_ my averge in line "H" of the personal allowances worksheet in page 1 is "2" ... but in the deductions and adjustment worksheet in page 2 ... i got the total of "4" ... so which one of them should i enter in line 5 in the form ??
It depends on whether or not you have any dependents, or are married, and/or what size refund you would like to have.

_ which is the best form to file taxes if i was a student and i got financial aid and live at the dorms and if i am working and study

by the way, i am not a US citizen, i am an asylee ... and probably i will file for 2007 as an asylee since my permanent resident application will take a long time !

Thanks a lot and if you have any questions for me, please ask

Ben
You would file as a resident based on the physical presence test. Which form you should file would depend on the rest of your situation. However, its is always safe to file a regular 1040.

Packerfan

No, that has nothing to do with head of household status. Unless you have dependent children who will also be living with you in the dorms, you are not head of household. You would be single if you are single, or perhaps married filing jointly if you are married.

It depends on whether or not you have any dependents, or are married, and/or what size refund you would like to have.

You would file as a resident based on the physical presence test. Which form you should file would depend on the rest of your situation. However, its is always safe to file a regular 1040.
Thanks 4 all the info you gave me above ...

so you think fining 1040 is the best .... in 2006 I filed the form 1040 NR-EZ
so is it ok to file the regular 1040 even if you are not a US resident or a permanent resident ??

is paying the college more than half what i made in a year could increase my refund .. or it wont effect ?

thanks again 4 ur fast reply

Packerfan

oh another thing ...

so filing as "1" or "2" in line 5 ... it will just affect how much ur employee will withhold ... is that mean that it wont affect the amount of money the IRS want you to pay them ??

would you give me a brief about how the IRS determine your taxes ??

i am new in the US and i dont have enough about taxes here ... :rolleyes:
appreciate your help ;)

efflandt

Forms and instructions for federal taxes are at http://www.irs.gov/

The exemptions for W-4 forms for each job depend upon how many jobs you have and whether you have itemized deductions. A single person with a single job might claim 2 exemptions for withholding. But if one job already assumes 1 default exemption, the other job may be 0 or 1 depending upon total income and any educational deductions. Basically you should try not to owe more than $1000 to the IRS at tax filing time.

If you are a single person with no dependents, on your actual taxes you get 1 exemption and typically the standard deduction for a single person [assuming you are on your own, and not claimed as a dependent by your parent(s) for US taxes].

Packerfan

Forms and instructions for federal taxes are at http://www.irs.gov/

The exemptions for W-4 forms for each job depend upon how many jobs you have and whether you have itemized deductions. A single person with a single job might claim 2 exemptions for withholding. But if one job already assumes 1 default exemption, the other job may be 0 or 1 depending upon total income and any educational deductions. Basically you should try not to owe more than $1000 to the IRS at tax filing time.

If you are a single person with no dependents, on your actual taxes you get 1 exemption and typically the standard deduction for a single person [assuming you are on your own, and not claimed as a dependent by your parent(s) for US taxes].
OK, i am a single person with no dependents on my own and not claimed as a dependent by other people !! and i have two jobs .. and probably my annual gross for both jobs would be around $15,000 ... my first job i have "1" exemption ... what would be the best to enter exemption in my second job (number in line 5 in W-4 ) ??

please i just want your advice ... so please answer my q ASAP

Thanks

p.s: my employer cut: state tax, fedral tax, social security and medicare from my first job

Last edited:

abezon

The reason you aren't getting a definitive answer is that there isn't one. There are way too many variables for us. Among other things, you're assuming you're a resident; depending on visa type, you may not be. Go see a local tax pro with your 2006 return & your paychecks.

The way the withholding tables work, telling us your first job is set at 1 is useless info.
The withholding tables are set up using the assumption that you have only 1 job, & that every paycheck throughout the year was/will be the same size as this one. Having two part-time jobs will cause underwithholding. Earning your money in a big chunk will cause overwithholding.

That said, it sounds like you should set your withholding so that you pay $800 to the federal gov't during 2007. On the other hand, if you're paying tuition with student loans, you may not need to pay any taxes at all.

Packerfan

The reason you aren't getting a definitive answer is that there isn't one. There are way too many variables for us. Among other things, you're assuming you're a resident; depending on visa type, you may not be. Go see a local tax pro with your 2006 return & your paychecks.

The way the withholding tables work, telling us your first job is set at 1 is useless info.
The withholding tables are set up using the assumption that you have only 1 job, & that every paycheck throughout the year was/will be the same size as this one. Having two part-time jobs will cause underwithholding. Earning your money in a big chunk will cause overwithholding.

That said, it sounds like you should set your withholding so that you pay $800 to the federal gov't during 2007. On the other hand, if you're paying tuition with student loans, you may not need to pay any taxes at all.
Hi and thx 4 ur answer !

I am a resident according to the resedincy test in the IRS website since i am in the US for more than 6 months ... I am not here in a visa .. I am an asylee (thats mean like a refugee) ..

I have two jobs .. one of them is a full time and the other is a part time
i get $10/hr from my first job and $7/hr for my second

My second job is set to 1 .. and my first i will set it as 2 probably

right now i am not a student !! i will be a student in fall 2007 ... i took this semester off

my total annual gross for 2006 was around $11,000 BUT about $10,000 of it was in scholarships ...

i am not planning to take any kind of students loan for this year

i think its too clear for you now to determine the best number of allownces for me for my first job !!!

are they both should be the same allownces ?? and why do u want me to set my withholding to fedral government to $800 ??

please respond !! and thank you

Packerfan

Thanks 4 replying !!

however, i gave the HR my W-4 form

and I entered "2" in line 5

As I said above, my first job set to "1" .... will that be good or bad for me ? (not matching the number in line 5 for the two jobs ) and how ?

Thanks **************.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">