• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

File Married or Single?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

triciebird

What is the name of your state? ca
I got married on January 2 of this year and filed for divorce august 28 which won't of course be final until March of 2005. Can I file married on my taxes? will it save me any money on my taxes by filing married?

Snipes5

If you are legally married on Dec 31, but separated Aug 28, you have two filing options.

You may file Married Filing a Joint Return, or Married Filing a Separate Return.

MFJ is almost always the more advantageous filing status. If you file this way though, and owe money, keep in mind that the debt is just as much yours as your soon-to-be-ex's.

Snipes

abezon

If you have the marriage annulled, you were never married in the first place & get to file as single for 2004.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">