• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

filed tax-return as single, while married

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meme1983

I live in Maryland. I filed single on my tax-return, while still married, and living with my husband. I wasn't aware of the rules. What steps is the IRS going to take on me now? My tax return refunds didn't get to me yet...and I'm not concerned about the money, but what could happen to me. Please, answer me if u can.

Last edited:

Snipes5

You need to amend your taxes and file a joint return with your husband, or file Married Filing Separately.

When the money comes, cash the check but don't spend it. Then amend your return and send back what you owe them.

Snipes

meme1983

Snipes5 said:
You need to amend your taxes and file a joint return with your husband, or file Married Filing Separately.

When the money comes, cash the check but don't spend it. Then amend your return and send back what you owe them.

Snipes

Thank you Snipes.
I have one more question,
What are the consequences if I let it go, and not amend my tax return, or if I amend it, and my husband doesn't?

Snipes5

The consequences will be that the IRS will want back any monies you were not entitled to, plus penalties and interest, and if they decide that you intended to avoid the taxes, there could be fraud penalties also.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">