• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing 1099, Whats Exempt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AKCCEM

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio.
I am considered self employed, and at the end of the year I receive a 1099 form. I work for a dealership, I do use my car for my job, I have put a lot of miles on my car because I use it mainly for work. My question is, what kind of exemptions can I use when I am 1099? I saved all my gas receipts, and all my repair bills where I fixed the car. Also, would like to know, how do I pay taxes thru out the year, instead of owing a couple grand at Tax time?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio.
I am considered self employed, and at the end of the year I receive a 1099 form. I work for a dealership, I do use my car for my job, I have put a lot of miles on my car because I use it mainly for work. My question is, what kind of exemptions can I use when I am 1099? I saved all my gas receipts, and all my repair bills where I fixed the car. Also, would like to know, how do I pay taxes thru out the year, instead of owing a couple grand at Tax time?
Keeping a mileage log, and taking the standard mileage rate tends to be better, in general, than using actual expenses. You simply keep the log in the car and write down your mileage each time you use the car for work purposes.

You can use actual expenses, but unless you use the vehicle exclusively for work (ie you have another vehicle for personal use) you would have to pro-rate the expense between personal and business use.

As far as paying taxes through the year, you use form 1040-ES to make estimated tax payments. That form and instructions can be downloaded at irs.gov

FlyingRon

And don't forget that Ohio wants estimated tax payments as well.

There's a nice IRS pub
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc510.html
which also references a more detailed travel expense publication.

There may be other expenses that can be deducted as well. Look around the small business pages at the IRS.GOV as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">