• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

filing of 6013g to incur social security liability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

agileflower

We will be living in California.

A two part first question: My husband is a UK Citizen who has previously had tax liability in the US via work, living, etc. We are both in the UK right now but are moving back to the US early next spring. He is on the older side of middle aged and as it stands has only 8 Social Security credits and I am concerned about his eligibility for Social Security as he may not accumulate sufficient credits before his designated retirement age. Part ONE: I have been doing some reading and am wondering if we would be able to file a 6013g election for him so that he may be liable to US tax AND if this tax liability would incur necessity of paying Social Security tax. He is Self Employed. We WANT to find out if we can have him pay this tax so that he can possibly accumulate some credit the year before we return. Part TWO: He is self employed, which I realize means he'd pay the 15 something percent, and then deduct one half in his 'employer' type side of return (sorry, not terribly well versed in this). But I wonder, even if he can 'get' this tax liability, can he do it as a non resident self employed person when the employment side of his 'filing' will also be 'nonresident' ?

If this would work, we might consider re-filing jointly (with the 6013g election) for last year, where he had both self employment and employment based income. (Supplying documentation will be hairy as it's all in Swedish but.....>)

A second question: He will have a book published next year by a US publisher, to be sold in the US. From what I have read, this would be considered US sourced income (and therefore be liable to tax, he'd probably get a 1099), and that book royalties are properly considered income (not to be put on the rents/royalties schedule). Would this tax liability also incur the payment of social security tax?

It seems kind of strange to try to get INTO paying taxes, but that is what we are trying to find out if we can do. Thank you very much!

Tracy

LdiJ

We will be living in California.

A two part first question: My husband is a UK Citizen who has previously had tax liability in the US via work, living, etc. We are both in the UK right now but are moving back to the US early next spring. He is on the older side of middle aged and as it stands has only 8 Social Security credits and I am concerned about his eligibility for Social Security as he may not accumulate sufficient credits before his designated retirement age. Part ONE: I have been doing some reading and am wondering if we would be able to file a 6013g election for him so that he may be liable to US tax AND if this tax liability would incur necessity of paying Social Security tax. He is Self Employed. We WANT to find out if we can have him pay this tax so that he can possibly accumulate some credit the year before we return. Part TWO: He is self employed, which I realize means he'd pay the 15 something percent, and then deduct one half in his 'employer' type side of return (sorry, not terribly well versed in this). But I wonder, even if he can 'get' this tax liability, can he do it as a non resident self employed person when the employment side of his 'filing' will also be 'nonresident' ?

If this would work, we might consider re-filing jointly (with the 6013g election) for last year, where he had both self employment and employment based income. (Supplying documentation will be hairy as it's all in Swedish but.....>)

A second question: He will have a book published next year by a US publisher, to be sold in the US. From what I have read, this would be considered US sourced income (and therefore be liable to tax, he'd probably get a 1099), and that book royalties are properly considered income (not to be put on the rents/royalties schedule). Would this tax liability also incur the payment of social security tax?

It seems kind of strange to try to get INTO paying taxes, but that is what we are trying to find out if we can do. Thank you very much!

Tracy
That is not an area where I have had much experience, so I will defer to someone else to answer your questions. However, it seems to me that putting the money into retirement accounts would be just as beneficial as trying to find a way to incur SS taxes.

agileflower

That is not an area where I have had much experience, so I will defer to someone else to answer your questions. However, it seems to me that putting the money into retirement accounts would be just as beneficial as trying to find a way to incur SS taxes.
I woke up this morning realizing this is a HUGE benefit if this would be possible!

Thank you, I will watch this space for input!

Tracy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">