• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brokerhere

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on my situation? I am the sole provider, so my wife makes no income. she has to take very expensive medications that my work insurance covers but it's still very expensive. I was wondering if we filed separate tax returns so she had 0 income would she be eligable for medicaid? does it work like that?

Thanks.

ecmst12

No, it doesn't work like that. If she has a serious medical condition, she might qualify for medicaid based on that. Or, there may be a charitable organization that can help. If the drugs are brand name, she can contact the drug company and see if they offer any patient assistance program. But for state benefits that are income based, they go by HOUSEHOLD income.

FlyingRon

As stated, Tax filing status is NOT a consideration in medicaid. Eligibility is on an household basis regardless of the filing status.
There are both income and asset tests. If you think she may be eligible, there are attorneys that specialize in the application process which can greatly help (and avoid spurious rejections).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">