• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing Amended Returns

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ronlynn1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

While doing my tax return this year, I discovered that I forgot to claim my medical insurance premiums as part of my medical and dental expenses for my '07 return.

I have not looked at previous years, but how far back does the IRS allow you to go in order to file amended returns ? I've been told three years and I've also been told 5 years.

Thanks,
Ron

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

While doing my tax return this year, I discovered that I forgot to claim my medical insurance premiums as part of my medical and dental expenses for my '07 return.

I have not looked at previous years, but how far back does the IRS allow you to go in order to file amended returns ? I've been told three years and I've also been told 5 years.

Thanks,
Ron
2005 can be amended until April 15th of this year, 2006 can be amended until 4/15/10, 2007 4/15/11 etc.

However if you get your medical insurance through your employer, and you pay for it pre-tax (the norm with insurance through employers) then its not deductible because you basically have already received the deduction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">