• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing Married But Separate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mauricetill

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I don't want to file with my wife this year, because the divorce process has gotten nasty. This year I paid the mortgage and my daughter's private school. What does filing married but separate consist of, what can I claim and not claim. If she claim our daughter, can I claim my mother, the house and private school?

mauricetill

No we separated in 7 Sep 04 and my child lived with her because after we separated I got orders to go overseas, but I am still paying the mortgage and my daughter's school, until we get this settled because she won't pay half.

abezon

If she won't file jointly, your only option is to file married separate. You can itemize & claim all the mortgage interest & property taxes, along with other itemized deductions. Since things are not overly friendly right now, I suggest you get a court order allowing you to claim your daughter as a dependent.

If you paid over 1/2 of your mother's support and mom's income was under $3200 (not including social security or tax-free interest), you can claim mom as a dependent. You cannot file head of household.

You get no education credits or deductions for your daughter's school.

Alternatively, you can see about getting a decree of separation before 12/31/05. If you get it (or a decree fo divorce), you can file as single or head of household. The separation decree should specify who gets to claim the child as a dependent. Only your wife can claim her for EIC.

abezon

Is it taxable disability or social security disability? If it's taxable disability, mom's income was over $3200 & you can't claim her as a dependent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">