• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing Status?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mikey&Abby

We live in Missouri.

I arrived in the US on July of 2004 and got my permanent residence card approved last January. I haven't been employed since I arrived. Thus, I have no income. Should my husband put "married filing separately" or "married filing jointly" for his 2004 tax return? Can he claim me as his dependent in both?

Thanks in advance,
Abby :)

Snipes5

You are treated as a citizen from either the date you received your green card, or the date you first entered the US after receiving it, whichever is sooner.

You and he should file "Married Filing a Joint Return".

Snipes

Mikey&Abby

Snipes5 said:
You are treated as a citizen from either the date you received your green card, or the date you first entered the US after receiving it, whichever is sooner.

You and he should file "Married Filing a Joint Return".

Snipes
Snipes,

Even if I DON'T have income at all? Sorry, but my husband and I are quite novice on this stuff. Can he claim me as his dependent?

Thanks again,
Abby :)

Snipes5

Yes, even if you have no income at all.

He does not claim you as a dependent, you are a spouse.

If you look at the forms you will note that next to the "Married Filing a Joint Return" status, it says, (even if only one had income).

Snipes

me 2 mt

It's almost always to your benefit to file jointly instead of separately when married, usually get a bigger refund. And like the previous poster said, you are listed as a spouse, not a dependant. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">