• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

filing status

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krco

I am married but havn't seen or heard from my husband in 3 years. Can I file single since I only support myself. This is in N.Y. no children . I am the only dependent.

Betty

Yes, since you haven't lived with your husband for 3 years, you can file a return as a single person. (single return)

Snipes5

Betty,

On what exactly are you basing your answer? If the OP is legally separated, she can file as single. If not, she can file Married Filing Separate. That's it.

Snipes

Jennx1032

Betty said:
Yes, since you haven't lived with your husband for 3 years, you can file a return as a single person. (single return)

I have done some looking into myself and you can only file single if you are infact single, married filing seperate is best for you. If their are divorce papers in the courts and you had a child , you could claim HOH but since that is not the case, that is out also. Sorry
I would find him and serve him papers and get the process going or you will have the same problem next year

Snipes5

I am glad you have done some looking into it.

However, at least three EA's and an attorney or two have discussed it at length on this site, and we agree that if the OP is LEGALLY SEPARATED, she can file SINGLE.

Snipes

Betty

Snipes5 said:
Betty,

On what exactly are you basing your answer? If the OP is legally separated, she can file as single. If not, she can file Married Filing Separate. That's it.

Snipes
Snipes, I had read some information that if the wife had not lived with the spouse for at least six months of the prior year, she can file as if she was single - single, individual return. Maybe the info I read was not correct - if so, I am sorry I gave incorrect info. It's one of those you can't always believe what you read things I guess. Betty P.S. Thank you for giving me the correct info
edit to add add'l. info: Snipes, I did some further checking & see that she must be LEGALLY separated - then can file as SINGLE. The other info I read I'm sure was incorrect.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Snipes5 said:
I am glad you have done some looking into it.

However, at least three EA's and an attorney or two have discussed it at length on this site, and we agree that if the OP is LEGALLY SEPARATED, she can file SINGLE.

Snipes
Snipes,
I am NOT trying to argue with you but am curious as to the reason why you and the others believe that Legally Separated is the same as SINGLE. IN fact the person is still married. They cannot marry anyone else and are still seen as married by various stages of government in a lot of respects.
So why would the IRS allow them to file as Single.

LdiJ

Ohiogal said:
Snipes,
I am NOT trying to argue with you but am curious as to the reason why you and the others believe that Legally Separated is the same as SINGLE. IN fact the person is still married. They cannot marry anyone else and are still seen as married by various stages of government in a lot of respects.
So why would the IRS allow them to file as Single.
Because people who are legally separated are no longer legally responsible for each other financially.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">