• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

filing while out of country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

woodyh

What is the name of your state?virginia
I haven\'t been back to u.s. since 2003. I haven\'t filed my 2003 returns yet. Do I get any extension since I have been away? I don\'t have everything I need so I can\'t file overseas. Is it okay to wait til I go back which will be within 6 months or should I do something now?
Also If I got paid income oversea\'s (was out of u.s. for full year) but didn\'t pay taxes in country I received income do I still have a chance to qualify for exemption of income while working outside of u.s. for full year.
Thanks!!

abezon

1. You got an automatic 2 month extension. It has expired, so your return is late.

2. Any penalty/interest will be based on your net balance due. If you're going to owe $$ you can always just send the IRS some money now.

3. It depends on the country. For eample, Saudi Arabia has no income tax but you can still exclude your earned income on form 2555. There are only 4-6 countries where you cannot exclude your wages.

woodyh

foreign exmpetion

Thanks abezon for all the information. Think I should have someone do taxes for me. If you could ask just one more question, would income received in italy(paid no taxes there) qualify where I would get to use the exemption since out of u.s. for full year?
Thanks again for all information and for all the information on the board as it is very informative!!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">