• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filling out IRS Offer in Compromise form

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michael Anton

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

Good evening. We're trying to fill out an IRS Offer in Compromise form 2012 tax year . I worked from January 2012 until end of March 2012 when I was laid off. Then I started collecting unemployment benefits while residing in NJ from April 2012 until December 2012. I am 41 years old and have a depressive illness which relapsed. I needed to leave NJ and move in with my father in West Va. I'm currently unable to work and currently have no income or substantial assets. I applied for disability benefits, but was denied.

I am able to pay the offer in compromise amount (calculated online) from money in my 401k account.

We need clarification on filling out the IRS form. My father has been providing shelter, food, etc. for me since January 2013. Should my father include his retirement & part time job income even though we did not file jointly & my tax debt was incurred last year while I was living on my own? Does the IRS require this information to make a determination for acceptance of the offer?

Thank you,

Michael

Last edited:

davew128

1) Maybe you live under a rock, but the IRS is shutdown along with most of the federal government right now. Nothing is getting done.

2) The odds of you getting an OIC on THIS YEAR'S TAX DEBT are about the odds of me being proven to have filled the single bullet from a grassy knoll several years before I was born. They have 10 years to collect the money from you. I can't think of a single reason short of you dying that they would accept anything less than 100% of the amount owed right now.

3) I think it goes without saying that you and YOUR FATHER do not file a joint return. Even in this age where the definition of marriage is being *******ized, er, loosened, a parent and child are not a married couple anywhere in the United States.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">