• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The "final return"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

borderline53

What is the name of your state? IN

At the time my mother passed away I was attorney in fact (power of attorney) while she was alive and incapacitated I took care of all her financial and tax obligations. At the time of her death it was explained to me that the executors (my brothers) of her estate would have to sign her final tax return.

In order to expedite the matter of her final return I went to the tax preparer she had always used and gave them all the documentation and information they would need, I explained to the preparer that the executor would need to sign and pay for the return (she died destitute). I also informed the executors of all this.

I have received a notice from the IRS that this final return was never filed, I called the IRS and explained that the executors were responsible to complete this last form. I contacted one of the executors of this problem.

Of course there is alot more to the story...there always is!

But am I responsible to do anything further?

LdiJ

borderline53 said:
What is the name of your state? IN

At the time my mother passed away I was attorney in fact (power of attorney) while she was alive and incapacitated I took care of all her financial and tax obligations. At the time of her death it was explained to me that the executors (my brothers) of her estate would have to sign her final tax return.

In order to expedite the matter of her final return I went to the tax preparer she had always used and gave them all the documentation and information they would need, I explained to the preparer that the executor would need to sign and pay for the return (she died destitute). I also informed the executors of all this.

I have received a notice from the IRS that this final return was never filed, I called the IRS and explained that the executors were responsible to complete this last form. I contacted one of the executors of this problem.

Of course there is alot more to the story...there always is!

But am I responsible to do anything further?
No, you are not responsible to do anything else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">